Events Calendar 0.25 Released

WordPress Event Calendar 0.25 includes a number of important bug fixes, including:

• Fixed an issue where automatic recurrences wouldn’t work
  • Fixed an issue where nothing would be displayed in calendar view if no calendars existed
  • Fixed an issue that would cause validation errors if adding an item from 12:00 PM -> 1:00 PM
  • Fixed an issue where after deleting an event from calendar view you would be sent back one month
  • Fixed an issue where some event titles wouldn’t appear correctly

Version 0.25 also includes the following enhancements:

• Added the ability to add an edit link on templates for easy access to edit events
  • Added a url field for events
  • Improved efficiency by lightening script calls and database reads
  • Updated documentation
  • Added support for different start and end dates
  • Added support for tagging and categorizing events
  • Revamped UI for creating events

Documentation
If you need to view the documentation for this plugin, go to your blog, choose Settings -> Events, then at the top click documentation.

If you still have questions, please post them in the comments below.

26 Responses to “Events Calendar 0.25 Released”

kchayka says:

I think this plugin has potential and it seems to work as described, but a few enhancements would really make it better, at least for my purposes. I would like to use something like this for a youth sports association; each team would have its own calendar for scheduled games, plus there are miscellaneous events like board meetings and fund raisers that should show on a general calendar.

My wish list:

1. Support short codes so I could add a page for each team (category) and have the event list automatically created, instead of hard-coding something in the template. It would be nice to have an option to show all events on one calendar, too.

2. Have an option to show a monthly calendar format as well as just a list, like in the admin panel. Users like to see the month at a glance. The event title would link to the full description, and possibly use a thickbox type of pop-up.

3. Use a tinyMCE control for entering the event description. It doesn’t accept any HTML now, which means unnecessarily limiting what can be entered (no bullet lists, bolding, etc.). The same default editing controls as posts and pages would certainly suffice.

Lastly, where are the instructions for using the WEC widget? It doesn’t seem to do anything, and any code I enter in the HTML and query boxes is not saved.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing how this plugin develops.

Kenan says:

Right in the head!
I will give you my blood for those features! :)

Russell says:

thanks for this plugin!

i’m noticing with this latest update, and the addition of URL fields that i’m having difficulty calling the URL. the documentation hasn’t been updated yet to indicate what function displays it.

i guessed it would be:
eventURL(); ?>

however, that only displays the location. is this a bug?

Russell says:

i found the bug. it’s in WEC_Query.php line 858. it was getting the location for the URL instead of the URL.

Jeremy is working on an update to fix that bug.

kchayka: This plugin is in beta and features such as tinyMCE will eventually be added. Jeremy can explain the WEC widget for you.

kchayka says:

Thank you, Sheldon. I understand it’s still beta but didn’t see a roadmap anywhere so wanted to mention my wishlist.

Is the widget (eventually) supposed to list the next few events?

mvanders says:

How can I display the calendar on a pgae?

Bill says:

I have the same problem. Is the PHP code inserted somewhere, or is there a short code to put on a page?

gabriel says:

i know i’m a newbie, but i’m with mvanders…

do I need to add the php code into the template somewhere?

I don’t understand php very much, can you explain how/where I need to do that?

calendar looks great!

Kenan says:

two days of trying…two long days!
I just don’t know how to display this calendar somewhere, anywhere… :(
any help?
thanks.

Jeremy Massel says:

Kenan, try checking out the documentation in Settings->Events->Documentation.

It’s like a WordPress loop for events, you should be able to display them yourself however you want that way.

Hey guys. Great plug-in! Trying write a query to grab only the current month’s events:

$month = date(‘F’);
$queryObject = new WEC_Query(‘calendarID=2′.’startDate=’ . $month);

This has no effect. Can startDate be used within the query in this manner?

Thanks in advance.

J

Jeremy Massel says:

Jason, try passing in a UNIX timestamp for the startDate. Hope that helps

Jeremy. Thanks for the quick reply.

Not sure what that would look like. According to the PHP manual, time() should produce a current UNIX timestamp but I don’t see how that’s going to get a match because I just need the current month.

Maybe it would be easier to filter the full set of results with an IF statement? Could you give a sample of what that might look like?

Thanks,

J

Jeremy Massel says:

Jason,

Consider trying strtotime(“January 2010″), or if you want to be extra precise strtotime(“January 1, 2010 12:00:00 am UTC”). This will give you the timestamp you need.

If you’d like to use loop conditionality to filter instead, you can try something like:

$queryObject = new WEC_Query(‘calendarID=4′);
while($queryObject->haveEvents()): $queryObject->the_event();
if($queryObject-> getStartTime() < '1234567890')
{
//your display code
}

endwhile;

Joel says:

Graham, this is atuimatoc, I thought. Grab the link Facebook gives you when you chose the export events option and paste it into the options for the ics plugin. From then on your upcoming events will appear on your blog. The plugin will cache the ics file, so updates may not appear instantly. You chose how many events to show at a time. Lots of other plugins use the same idea.

Thanks Jeremy. You put me on the right track but I found working with UNIX timestamps confusing for my purposes and I couldn’t get the query working. Thought someone might benefit from my final solution. Could be streamlined so other’s input is welcome:

// Get current months events only
$month = date(‘F’);
$year = date(‘Y’);
$queryObject = new WEC_Query(‘calendarID=2′);
while($queryObject->haveEvents()): $queryObject->the_event() ;
if($queryObject->getStartDate(‘F’) == $month && $queryObject->getStartDate(‘Y’) == $year){
//display code
}

Giving something back. Here is the scratch code for displaying event listings for a single month with the ability to click through to the next month’s listings:

Some of the code is from:http://www.phpjabbers.com/how-to-make-a-php-calendar-php26.html

Thanks guys.

J

Jason McKinney says:

Hi Guys. One more question, I promise. I know the plug-in supports an RSS feed but I can’t find a sample URL structure in your documentation.

Can you give me a sample of how the url might be formed to include a specific calendar?

Thanks in advance.

J

I have found a bug when trying to update an existing event. Whenever i click the update button to save the new info, it deletes the entire event. I have tried to look through the code to see if i could find where to change it myself but to no avail. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jason says:

Yeah, I’ll second that.

I don’t think supporting this plug-in is at the top of their priority list right now since I’ve had an open question for six months. You might want to try something else although I know the selection is limited. For my next project, I’m just going to use google calendar: http://code.google.com/p/wpng-calendar/

J

Hi all,

Unfortunately, we don’t have time to take a look at this at this time. If someone wants to provide a fix we will release it.

peter says:

hey there,

your plugin is really nice. i’ve just started using it and it works well. except of this: when i chose an event from the list in order to edit it and then press “update”, the event gets deleted without warning and disappears from the list. i’m using the latest version. is that a known bug or has it to do with my setup? i’m willing to fix it myself but a hint where i could start would be highly appreciated.

another thing that doesn’t work is that no events are showing in calender view. but i could live with that right now.

Gary says:

I just can not figure out how to actually input the events . .

Tebe says:

Vicky, that’s a great WordPress curhch site. The only downside of the WPListCal plugin is that visitors can’t click on an event to be taken to a post or page about the event. If they added a link to a post feature, it would be my choice too. This is why I’m still sticking to RS Event for now.